All residents of the City of Duluth who are registered voters have the ability to elect the mayor and city council members or to vote on special referendums that affect city taxpayers. Please note that simply having a Duluth mailing address does not necessarily entitle you to vote in Duluth municipal elections. Only residents within city limits are eligible.
To register to vote, you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be a legal resident of the County
- Be at least 17.5 years (at least 18 to vote)
- Not be serving a sentence imposed by the conviction of a felony involving moral turpitude
- Not have been found mentally incompetent by a judge
Georgia citizens have access to several convenient methods of registering to vote:
- Register to vote ONLINE! Your social security number is also required at time of registration.
- Contact your local county board of registrars’ office or election office, public library, public assistance office, recruitment office, schools and other government offices for a mail-in registration form.
- Registration is offered when you renew or apply for your driver’s license at Department of Motor Vehicle Safety driver’s license posts.
- College students can obtain Georgia voter registration forms, or the necessary forms to register in any state in the U.S., from their school registrar’s office or from the office of the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
The Gwinnett County Voter Registration office (678.226.7210) processes all applications. Approximately 2–4 weeks after mailing your application, you should receive a precinct identification card that will list your political districts and polling location for City, County, State and National elections. When voting in City (Municipal) elections, Duluth City Hall is the only polling precinct. You will likely have a different voting precinct for any other elections.
If you are registering for the first time in Georgia, and you register by mail, you are required to provide ID by one of the following ways:
- Mail a copy of the identification with your voter registration application
- Provide a copy of the identification to the registrar before or at the time you cast a ballot
Once you are registered, you may also verify your National, State and County precinct and polling location by visiting the Secretary of State Poll Locator.
Change of Residence
Voters are required to notify the board of registrars of their county of residence whenever they move. If you need to change your name and/or address, complete the same form used for registration, then print, sign, and mail. Although you are registered to vote, the form is an official government document and therefore must be completed in its' entirety.
If you move outside the city or county in which you are registered to vote within 30 days of an election, you may vote in your old precinct for that election. If you move outside the city or county in which you are registered to vote in excess of 30 days prior to an election, you have lost your eligibility to vote in the city or county of your old residence. You must register to vote in your new county of residence. You will be assigned a new voting precinct and polling location. Remember, if you don’t register to vote by the deadline, you cannot vote in that particular election.
Gwinnett County Election Supervisor
455 Grayson Highway, Suite 200, Lawrenceville, GA 30045-6900
75 Langley Drive, Lawrenceville, GA 30045-6900
Telephone: 678.226.7210 Fax: 678.226.7208
Questions? email firstname.lastname@example.org