Alcohol Handling Permits & Renewals
The City offers “walk-in” hours for NEW alcohol handling permits on designated Tuesdays from 2:00pm-4:00pm. No appointments are necessary during that time.
Appointments for new permits are still available other days of the week. Contact the Alcohol & Excise Tax Officer by calling 770.497.5286.
Walk- In Dates (2pm- 4pm)
February 20, 2024
February 27, 2024
March 12, 2024
March 19, 2024
March 26, 2024
(Longer wait times may apply)
- Alcohol handling permits for new employees are processed in person. To schedule an appointment call 770.476.3434.
- Apply within five (5) days of the first day of work.
- Valid identification is required at time of permit application– GA Driver’s License or other secure/verifiable identification.
- A background check is required at time of permit application. Photo will be taken. Dress Appropriately.
- Once the background check is verified, the applicant will receive a temporary Alcohol Handling Permit that is valid for 60 days. Ensure that the last box on the application is completed and any and all arrests are listed, regardless of disposition. Failure to list arrest information is grounds for denial, as it is considered falsifying an official document. Temporary permits are only issued one time and will not be extended.
- Return the temporary permit to the employer to be kept on business premises.
- A non-refundable permit fee of $70.00 is due when applying for a permit. If this is a second alcohol-handling job within the City limits and your first permit has not expired, the fee for a second permit is $10.00.
- Once the temporary permit is acquired, a one-time mandatory Alcohol Training Class is required and will be scheduled at your temporary permit appointment. The cost of the class is $20.00. Pay the class fee at www.duluthpayments.com under the Alcohol button.
- Upon successful completion of the class and a passing grade on the exam, the applicant will receive a Permanent Alcohol Handling Permit that is valid for two (2) years.
- Work, sell, and serve responsibly!
- Renewals can be done 7-14 days prior to the expiration date of the current permit.
- Go to the Permit Portal at by clicking www.duluthpayments.com on Alcohol Handling Permit Portal.
- Permit renewals are available online via www.duluthpayments.com and will be processed in the order in which it's received. You will be notified by either text or email when the permit has been processed and is ready for pick-up at City Hall. A manager or owner may pick permit on employee's behalf.
- Completion of a renewal application authorizes the City to perform a background investigation. Ensure that the last box on the application is completed and any and all arrests are listed, regardless of disposition. Failure to list arrest information is grounds for denial, as it is considered falsifying an official document.
- If you are applying for a renewal and the previous permit has expired, there is a 50% late fee in addition to the $70.00 fee for a total of $105.00, payable by credit /debit card only.
- Renewal applicants are not required to repeat the alcohol awareness training class
- Permits must be kept on business premises.
- For additional questions, contact the Alcohol Officer at City Hall at 770.476.3434 or email firstname.lastname@example.org